L3F & Mushroom
L3F program is strictly connected to the mushroom cultivation. By this program, there are lots of farmers who are getting helps (Resources, Consulting services..etc.) to develop and upgrade their production and th productivity while getting higher income.
What is mushroom?
The mushroom cultivation can be introduced as an Agri business which contributes in yielding 100% profits by investing a less amount of money within a short period of time. Mushroom can be cultivated in our country according to two ways.
01). In hay media
02). In saw dust media
As the mushroom types that grow in Sri Lanka, Sookiri, Abaloni, Oyster, Gaja muthu and Piduru can be introduced. The most popular mushroom type among the farmers are “Oyster mushroom”. The oyster mushroom is introduced by two names in Sri Lanka as American Oyster and Lanka oyster.
Types of Mushrooms
Let's Start Mushroom Cultivation
Mushroom Cultivation Part #1
Preparing the saw dust mixture
A new and a smooth saw dust 100kg ( Amba, kotta, lunu midella, sapu, albesia)
Rice bran 10 kg (white or red)
mung flour 1kg ( Instead of mung flour, soya flour, cowpea flour and yellow gram flour can be used. The poultry manure also can be used instead of mung flour. If poultry manure is added to saw dust it must be added five times in quantity like mung flour)
lime 2 kg ( calcium carbonate or Dolamite)
Rock salt 200g (Magnesium sulfate, magsulfur)
Mixing the growing media
First clean the land
Spread the saw dust on it
Add mung flour, rice bran and lime over it. Mix well with a hoe or shovel.
Next add rock salt or magsulfur
Again mix well
Sprinkle water to the mixture to create a uniform water supply
Mushroom Cultivation Part #2
Filling the saw dust mixture into the bags
- Polypropylene of guage 250
- A PVC pipe with 1 inch diameter.
- Pieces of papers with 4 inches in both length and width.
- Cotton wool
- Rubber bands
- After preparing the mixture, prepare the polypropylene bags of 13 inches long and 7 inches broad.
- Cut PVC rings which are 1 inch in height (As a substitution for PVC the bamboo can be used).
- One side punched bags must be upside down next.
- Fold the two ends of the bag to the inside so that the bottom of the bag will be flat.
- Fill the bags up to 4/3 of its height with the growing mixture.
- Now move the open end of the bag through the PVC ring and pull it well from the other side of the PVC pipe.
- Then again fold the open end of the bag to outside and tie it with a rubber band.
- Now fix a cotton wool to the hole that occurred due to the PVC pipe in the growing bag.
- Then cover the cotton wool with a piece of paper and tie it again with a rubber band.
Mushroom Cultivation part #3
The purpose of sterilizing the growing media is to eliminate the organisms by heating them. This is practiced by using a barrel with a lid. The growing bags are steam boiled in the barals for about 2-3 hours.
Mushroom Cultivation Part #4
Selecting a mushroom seed packet & Seed Inoculation
Selecting a mushroom seed packet
Seeds should be selected from a trustworthy institution.
- Before buying expiring date, infections, damages in the bags should be well examined.
- Storing the mushroom packets.
- Always store the seed packets in a clean place.
- Probably these seed packets are stored in refrigerators, not in the deep freezers.
- Storing the growing bags for growth
Normally the growing bags are stored in dark rooms for this purpose. There should be a good aeration where the growing bags are stored. The bags should be stored horizontally in shelves. Normally the seed packets are stored in the dark rooms for about 28-30 days for seed culturing. The bags should be checked frequently for insect damages and other infections. The water is not sprinkled to the growing bags in this period.
Seed inoculation is introducing seeds to the sterilized growing bags. For this inoculation process the seeds in high quality must be selected.
- The things to be considered in seed inoculation
- Select a covered area for the seed inoculation.
- Arrange the place by closing the windows and switching off fans.
- Inoculation should be practiced with clean hands and wearing masks to avoid the exhaled air.
- Use a sterilized metal spoon which was sterilized by the flame, to handle the seeds.
Mushroom Cultivation Part #5
Placing the bags and Harvesting
After 30 days, a white color fungi spreading all over the growing bags can be identified. This means that the fungi are ready to bloom.
Maintaining a favorable condition inside the growing houses
It is important to maintain an optimal temperature, moisture and a good aeration inside the growing house. Otherwise CO2 gas will be accumulated inside the growing bags and the growing mushroom will be abnormal in condition.
From a one growing bag 300g of mushroom can be harvested within a one production cycle.